Winner of the Made in Alberta Awards - Food Category 2019!
Sweet, smooth balsamic and smokey undertones with a soft fig like texture.
BLACK GARLIC AND RICOTTA CROSTINI
By Kim-Marie Thompson, Chef at Mountain Mercato, Canmore, AB
30gm dried Morels
15gm finely sliced Forage and Farm black garlic cloves
20gm finely diced shallots
A small clove of finely diced Forage and Farm fresh garlic cloves
Small hand of finely chopped parsley
Small hand of finely chopped fresh thyme
1 large ripe lemon
Salt (Kosher table salt and sea salt for garnish; we recommend Maldon sea salt). 135g of ricotta
1. Soak the dry Morels, for a minimum of 24 hrs, making sure that the Morels are submerged in the water to ensure even re-hydration.
2. When the Morels are hydrated, clean thoroughly (under running water to flush the dirt out from the crevices) and lay on paper towel, to get rid of any excess water. Slice finely.
4. Heat a pan on medium heat. Add a little olive oil and sauté shallots and thyme. Add a small pinch of kosher salt and the fresh garlic. Sauté until shallots are soft and opaque.
5. Add the sliced morels and black garlic.
6. Once the Morels are cooked, add the parsley and a squeeze of lemon. Take the mixture out of the pan and transfer to a bowl. Let it cool down to room temperature.
7. In a bowl, mix the ricotta with salt and a squeeze of lemon, to taste. All steps mentioned above can be prepared a day in advance (store cooled).
8. Slice the baguette across the width of the stick. Drizzle with olive oil and toast in an oven until (325F) golden brown. Lightly season crostini’s with sea salt once out of the oven.
9. Once the crostini is cooled, spread ricotta mixture evenly on top between the portions of eight. Lightly season the ricotta with Maldon sea salt. With a small teaspoon, place the Morel and black garlic mixture on the crostini. Drizzle olive oil over the top. And again, lightly season with sea salt and finish with micro greens.
The Crostini’s can be prepared 20-30 minutes before serving.
BLACK GARLIC CHOCOLATE CAKE
GRILLED POTATO SALAD WITH BLACK GARLIC VINAIGRETTE
· 24 oz = 1 ½ lbs baby potatoes
· 4 cloves Forage & Farm Black Garlic
· 4 T oil
· 1/4 tsp salt
· 1 T rice wine vinegar
· 1 T chives
· 2-3 T fresh dill, cilantro, Italian parsley or tarragon.
· 1 Cup sour cream
· 2 T fresh dill
· 2 T lemon juice
· 1 T finely chopped onion or shallot
· salt, pepper, sugar
1. Preheat grill to med high heat.
2. Blanch potatoes in salted boiling water, until just tender, about 10-15 minutes, depending on size.
3. Mash black garlic with a fork with salt and 1 T oil, until it become a chunky paste. Add the remaining oil, vinegar, and pepper.
4. Strain the tender potatoes, and toss with 1 T of the vinaigrette, just enough to lightly coat. Grill the potatoes until nicely charred.
5. Toss with the rest of the vinaigrette, and fresh herbs.
6. Serve with dilled sour cream
7. To make dill sour cream: whisk one cup sour cream with a little lemon zest, squeeze of ½ a lemon, 2-3 T fresh dill, 1 T chopped shallot, salt and pepper to taste, and pinch of sugar.
Simply add Black Garlic to your Charcuterie board. Pair it with a soft cheese, nuts, cured meats, fresh crostini...